Vuzix Smart Glasses, M100
The Vuzix M100 is the world’s first commercially available “Smart Glasses.” It is an Android-based wearable computer, enhanced with a wearable monocular display, a high-definition camera, and wireless connectivity capabilities.
The M100 smart glasses are functionally similar to an Android smartphone, minus the cellular phone capability. It is able to perform the same general functions, including loading and running most existing Android apps. Its wearable, hands-free format also opens many new opportunities not previously practical, or even possible, with traditional smartphone and similar mobile devices.
We invite you to browse the information provided here and on the Vuzix website (www.vuzix.com) to see how you can optimize existing apps and create new apps to participate in the exploding market of wearable technology and the many advantages it makes possible.
Purchase M100 SDK
Click above to purchase an M100 along with an SDK subscription.
M100 SDK System Requirements
Developing apps with the M100 SDK requires the installation of the Java Development Kit (JDK) and Android SDK. We also recommend using Eclipse, an open-source integrated development environment (IDE).
Third parties other than Vuzix may provide the Android SDK, Eclipse, the Java Development Kit, and other development tools referenced in the M100 SDK Software package. Instructions on downloading the JDK and Android SDK (which includes a version of Eclipse) are provided in the M100 SDK Software package.
Development System Requirements
- Windows XP (32-bit), Vista (32- or 64-bit), or Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit)
- Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later (x86 only)
- Linux (tested on Ubuntu Linux, Lucid Lynx)
- GNU C Library (glibc) 2.7 or later
- On Ubuntu Linux, version 8.04 or later
- 64-bit distributions must be capable of running 32-bit applications
M100 Primary Components
The M100 can be used for a vast number of tasks and configured in multiple ways.
Three modes of operation are supported:
- Applications can be loaded onto and run directly on the M100 Smart Glasses.
- M100 Smart Glasses can be paired with another Android device and your applications can be run from that device, using the M100 as a hands-free HMD (head mounted display) system.
- Special applications can be created to work cooperatively on the M100 Smart Glasses as well as a paired Android device, essentially doubling your mobile computing horsepower.
Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n are supported. Each of the above three modes of operation can be run with our without a Cloud connection.
iOS support is under development.
The M100 Smart Glasses ship with two mounting solutions, an over-the-head adjustable band and industrial grade safety glasses.
Either mounting solution can be configured for left or right eye use of the M100.
Controlling the M100
Multiple control or user interface solutions are supported by the M100 Smart Glasses:
- Four device mounted buttons enable volume adjustment and menu selection.
- Remote Manager software, running on a paired Android device, allows for full control including application management.
- 3D gesture control allows for hand gesture control.
- Voice navigation software (included) enables voice control and customer voice command libraries.